Thursday 31 May 2012

Mother's Day

"Stop this nonsense, and don’t interfere in my life. Do I always have to tell you where I’m going? Let me do what I want. I know what I am doing very well, and I don’t want to mess up my life like yours."  Ruby yelled at Suhana and went out of the house.

Suhana was standing still like a statue with a vacant stare. Ruby, her daughter, was studying in class XI in a reputed college. Her mother Rama went to her and took her to the bedroom.
“Sit down dear. She is quite mature and she can take care of herself. Don’t worry. She’ll be fine.”Rama tried to console Suhana.

Suhana burst into tears. "Can you tell me mother what was my mistake? Did I ever want to bring her up like this? Did I sacrifice my whole life for this day?
She does not listen to me. She is always outside, busy with friends, and is not studying at all. Her exam grades are getting poorer day by day. How will she do something good in her life without education? She should concentrate on her studies, and these two years are vital for her career. I only told her to stay at home and study, and she was like.. so furious at me.. Oh god! what will I do without her in my life? "
"Cool down Suhana.. this age is like this. The adolescents are generally hot-tempered by nature. Don't get tensed. I will talk to her when she returns. I’m going to heat the food. I will call you when food is ready.”
"No mother, I will not eat anything today, I’m not feeling good today." Suhana lay down on the bed.
“Don’t vent out your frustrations on food. I will call you.”
“Please mother, not today. Please leave me alone.” Suhana turned her head to the other side.
“Okay, as you wish.” Rama was disappointed and helpless. She turned off the lights and went out of the room.


                                                            **********

At 10 P.M. Ruby returned. She could see Rama sitting in the drawing room. She went to her.
Ruby sat beside her on the sofa and asked, "Granny, have you had your dinner?"
"Why are you asking? You know I never have my dinner without you. Where have you been?" Rama questioned in an angry tone.
"Oh, Granny, why do you always wait for me? You are getting old and you should have your dinner early. I went to the Mother's Day party organised by a friend of mine for her mother. You know, today is Mother's Day."
"Yes Ruby, no need to remind me that I am an old lady, but I will always wait till my death. You may not care about anyone in our family, but I do care.. about everyone. Your grandfather passed away ten years ago. You'll understand it only when I'll be no more like him."
"Hmm.. sentimental angry young lady..." Ruby said with a smile. "All right, let’s go eat."

After dinner Rama was cleaning up the dining table. Ruby hugged her from behind and asked her, "Now tell me, why are you angry? And where is mom by the way? "
"Don't disturb me.. Go to your room."
"Oh Granny, tell me naa...."
"You should not have shouted at your mother. Is this a way to talk to your mother? She is very hurt. And I cannot see my daughter sad because of you.. Your generation.. you are so confused.. you celebrate Valentines Day, break up the next day and keep changing your boyfriend every year. You celebrate Mother's Day of someone else, but hurt your own mother. Why the hell do you celebrate these days?"
"You will not understand Granny… You care so much about your daughter, but she does not at all care about me.. She only scolds me."
"You are wrong Ruby. She is your best well-wisher. It was only because of her that you are here… Living in this world and enjoying life."
Ruby shrugged her shoulder and said, "It’s the duty of every parent. My father’s not here to take care of me and so it’s her duty."
"Stop talking about your father. He was a coward man, and he cheated my daughter. He made her life miserable. You are here only because she wanted to give birth to you. And she spent the days of her youth working hard only to give you a good life. She did not even marry again. We insisted, but you were the only important one for her. She has not eaten anything since you left. You have hurt her badly today."
"What are you talking about? I can’t understand." Ruby was confused. She had never seen her grandmother look so angry and excited.
"You have to believe me. I am saying only the truth. Go and ask your mother."
Ruby went to her mother's bedroom. Rama followed her.  

Rama switched on the lights, Suhana was lying on the bed with eyes closed. 
"Suhana, are you awake?" Rama called her in a low voice.
Suhana opened her eyes. They were full of tears. She could see Rama and Ruby looking at her.
"What happened mother? " Suhana's eyes were full of questions.
Rama looked at Ruby and then said, "Tell her everything Suhana. You remained silent for all these years, but today you have to tell her everything. Don’t let yourself be taken for granted. She is mature enough to know why her so called responsible father does not stay with us, and even does not come to meet her. Let her know everything."
"Mother, please don’t make a fuss . Please go.. and let me sleep." Suhana closed her eyes again.
"No, you have to tell her. Get up. We were responsible for spoiling your life, and I will not allow anyone to spoil your rest of the life, even if she's my granddaughter. "
Suhana got up and sat on the bed. She was not interested to talk about her past.
Ruby was observing her mother’s expressions. She could understand that her mother was not willing to talk, but she was curious. She said, “What is Granny saying? Tell me mom, I want to know.” 
“Sit here, Ruby.” She pointed to the space in front of her.
Ruby sat down on the bed. 
"I am going to sleep..Good night." Rama said and went to her room.

                                                            **********

Suhana remained silent for few minutes. She was thinking about where to start. Then she took a deep breath and started to speak - 


"I had completed my M.Sc and wanted to study further. But my parents found a groom for me, ‘a jewel boy’-- according to them. He was a scientist, working in USA. I was not willing to get married so early. After our families met and liked each other, he came to meet me. He seemed to be a nice man, and I also liked him. May be because I liked him, or may be because those days were not like today and I was hesitant to tell my parents seriously that I didn’t want to marry, I agreed. He and his family assured me & my family that I could continue my study in USA also. We got married and went to USA.

A new country.. new culture & society.. My first few months in the U.S.A. were like dream. The famous outlets where you go to eat sandwich, fried chicken and pizza were not in India at that time, and those were there in USA then. We went to visit new sea beaches and big cities. We used to go to departmental stores every week. Those were so huge with lots of products that I had not seen before that. One day your father took me to the Niagara Falls. I was so excited with my new life and was happy in my small world. Your father was pursuing his PhD in medical research. I used to take pride that my husband was involved in a job for improving the health of mankind.

 Then came the days with vast sea of loneliness.. As days passed by, he became very busy with himself and his medical research.. I had a strange feeling from the very first day of our married life that something was missing in our relationship. But I thought that it’s just a post-marriage stress, and it would be relieved in course of time. We were living under the same roof, he was doing his duties of a husband.. still… What was that ?

I came to understand that only after two more years. We lived in a small town.. He used to leave home at 7:00 A.M. and return at 7:00 P.M. While at home, he did not talk too much like before. I thought that he was stressed due to increased workload, and tried to adjust. Your father used to go out on weekend trip sometimes but he was not taking me with him anymore. He told me that those were official trips from his university. 
I was there at home..alone.. lonely.. Reading and painting was my passion. I used to spend the whole time by reading short-stories, scientific journals, verse novels and magazines. I could not relate to people living there in my neighbourhood. There was no one from my country in our locality. I could see children going to school in the morning with their mothers.. people going to their job.. Meanwhile,I was trying to find out an institution to continue my study. I got offers from some of them,but in that case I would have to leave that town and go to a new town. I did not want to leave your father.. So I was trying to find any college nearby.. "

                                                            **********

source:  http://freepictures.me

"Then one day I came to know that you had come to me.. I was so happy.. I told your father when he returned in the evening. But he was not happy, your father did not want the child. He wanted me to abort you.. I was surprised and wanted to know the reason. But he had fumbled for words and he could not tell me any valid reason behind it....I resisted. It was such a great feeling of being a mother for the first time. I started feeling you moving inside me. Then you came to this world.. you were born by caesarean section. I regained my consciousness after the operation and saw you sleeping beside me. 
I was in cloud nine. It was like living in paradise.  
My priorities changed.. .. I don’t know if I had done the right thing or not, but I forgot about my study plans.. You were a living doll to me.. Twenty four hours a day were not enough for me to watch you.. smiling, giggling, crying, yawning, making funny facial expressions.. I still can’t forget the day when you said your first word-‘Mamma’.. Looking after you was the only solution of my loneliness. 

Then suddenly that horrible day came to my life which destroyed everything.. My life.. My existence..Everything.. It was Saturday.. One of his colleague came to our home to meet him.. I told him that he was gone on an official trip. He was surprised. He told me that they did not have any official trip on that weekend.. I did not believe him.. But I came to know from him that they did not go on any official trip on any weekend. Your father returned on the next day.. I asked him strictly, and he confessed. He was having an affair with Agnes.. She used to work with her in the university, but she was American, and his parents did not approve their marriage. So he married me, but he kept his relationship with her, and was going out on weekends with her.. 
I was shocked!! I felt like being bitten by a poisonous snake. I could not even cry.. For all the time in that two and a half years he was travelling outside with someone else, and I was alone at home!?!  I asked him why did he cheat me. He was silent."

"My small world was torn apart.. I just could not stay there anymore… I was missing my country.. my parents..someone with whom I could share my pain and cry….. I came back to India. My parents were first very unhappy with my decision but I told them the reason. I and your father got divorced. But I did not want to feel like a burden on my parents for my whole life. I tried a lot and finally got a job. I could not resume my career where I had left it. I could not study after that anymore, but I have no regret. I have always followed my heart. My only purpose in life was providing you with a better future. "
"Mom, why did you never tell me these things before?" Ruby was looking at her mother. Tears came rolling down from her eyes.
"My past is bitter dear, and I did not want to spoil your sweet childhood with that. You are fifteen years old, and you can understand relationships now. If I had told you before, it would have been distressing for you to grow up with this ugly truth or meet your father. I got your custody, but he was allowed to meet you. Though he came only twice in last fourteen years. "

                                                           **********

"Mom, you know, when I was a child, I wondered why you and papa lived separately. You remember, I used to ask you about papa, but I was not at all satisfied with your answers that he was busy in USA and could not come to meet me. He came to school to see me when I was in class two, and again when I was in class four… and he was so nice. He never came after that. I was angry with you since then, and thought it’s you because of whom we are staying apart. I grew up with this misconception. Granny told me that you and papa got divorced but she did not tell me why. Mom, are you still angry with papa? Do you hate him? And why didn’t you marry again?"

"No, dear, I have no feeling of anger towards him, neither do I hate him. I have forgiven him long ago. May be he did not have courage to face the truth in front of his parents. Anyways, I was happy in my small world with you and my parents. I did not want any intruder to this small world. My only priority in life has been you, your education, your career and your well-being. So that you don’t have to face the same problem as mine in your life. I want you to study seriously and to be self-dependent. I’m not telling you to never love someone or marry. I want you to marry only when you can support yourself financially."

Ruby hugged her mother, "I am sorry mom.. please forgive me…. I have made a great mistake by being rude to you. I’ll never do anything like this.."
Suhana kissed Ruby on the cheek."How can I remain angry with you? You are my angel."
"You know mom, I used to look at that painting in our drawing room... a sweet colourful bird hit by an arrow. Granny said you had painted it. Your painting was a riot of colours. I wondered what would be the meaning of that painting. Today I understand the inner meaning of it ."
"I was very depressed when I painted that. My father liked it and placed it on the wall." Suhana exhaled deeply looking out of the window at the darkness.

Ruby looked at the clock. It was twelve past fifteen.
"Mother’s Day is over mom, I am so sorry I could not wish you on that day, and even misbehaved with you."

"Sweetie, we celebrate these days— Mother’s Day, Valentines Day, Father’s Day etc. only to make that day special for that special one. But that does not mean you cannot celebrate these days on other days of the year. Any day can be Mother’s Day, Valentines Day, or any other day like these if we feel for that special person on that day. No predefined days, you can make your own special day on any day." Suhana said.
“Happy mother’s day mom. I love you..” Ruby kissed her on the cheek and cuddled into her lap .
Suhana caressed Ruby's hair and said in an affectionate tone,"I love you too my baby. I know you have grown up now, but you will always remain that sweet baby whom I had seen lying by my side fifteen years back."

source:  http://freepictures.me

 ( This story is dedicated to all mothers of the world. All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.)

              This post is part of the contest Ten words to a Story(or Poem).. on WriteUpCafe.com

12 comments:

  1. Really sweet one. You wrote all your true feelings here. A genuinely nice read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot JJ... thanks for being the first one to comment on my post..

      Delete
  2. Simply put...JJ's right, a really good read, straight from your heart. Best of luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Helen... and same to you..

      Delete
  3. Such a cute ending that was..the built up..on the Father was great..kept me hooked till the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viyoma.. I got inspired to write more.. if you find time,please go through my other posts.. your comments are welcome..

      Delete
  4. Sweet post.. I loved the way you completed the post.. Best wishes for you to win..

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sayoni,
    That was a sweet story!
    Liked it a lot :)
    P.S.- My concept about those exceptional days like Mother's Day , Father's day, etc. is same. Celebration does not waits for the day! :D

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your views.. I'm happy that you liked it..

      Delete
  6. i really liked the story, its three generations of women, its allusions to inner meanings of paintings made by a person who was another person years ago and somewhere else. the final third where the mother and daughter talk about the man who left them; is handled with surprising restraint and understated power. this is one of the stronger entries in the contest. great work!

    Kunal
    http://www.kunalsen.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kunal.. Thank you so much for sharing your critical views.. I'm honored..

      Delete